Now, where did I leave that?

Saturday, February 8, 2014

To New Beginnings!

Dear friends in the blogging ether-hi!  I've missed you! It's been a crazy few weeks since my last post. Although we haven't been as Winter-ravaged as some of you, it's been more of a Winter here than I've seen in many years.












That photo was taken back in December, but we have had several more, including a storm this past week that resulted in a perfectly timed snow day. And it's been cold! I honestly don't recall having as many below zero nights and single digit days as we've had this season. We thank the powers that be daily for the wonders of the pellet stove, as do the furred ones in the household.































Got through my busiest time of work, finally emerging from the 13 hour workdays weary and frustrated. And then...it happened! A call I really didn't expect, the culmination of 3 1/2 months of waiting and interviews, process and thought, wishful thinking and mental seesawing. My office phone rang, and on the other end was the voice of my future boss, offering me the hoped-for position! After 7 1/2 years, I'm returning to library work! Some of the work will be familiar and some is branching out in new and exciting directions...working with youth planning, and eventually some community outreach. I've done outreach work before, back in my festival days, but this is will be a different sort. 

I owe alot of love and gratitude to Linda who listened to my angst about what I might be giving up if I was offered and accepted the job; let's face it, libraries have different economic realities than where I've been the last few years, and I've enjoyed a freakish amount of time off at the job I'm leaving behind, between the extended holidays, standard vacation time, Summer Fridays off, and the comp time that came from those 13 hour work days. But Linda--and my family & friends--supported me and reminded me that all those good things came at an exorbitant emotional price that had taken its toll, and that I've missed library work all these years And when that call came, I was stunned and honored, and barely hesitated.

I'm truly excited; the dedication of the army of volunteers is amazing, and I'm mightily impressed by the drive, vision and determination of the library staff and board to serve its small rural community as fully and completely as possible. It may be I've never confessed to you my passion for libraries, the way they put the world at the fingertips of anyone walking through the doors, regardless of income, 'class', social stature, ethnicity, religious or political beliefs. Libraries are both magical and as critical to a functioning society as schools. This will most assuredly be an adventure that lets me feel good about what I do at the end of every day. The new job starts in early March, and I'm working hard to leave my current job ready for someone else to step in.

So that's my big news; I so look forward to checking in on all my favorite bloggers...stay warm; Spring's coming, I promise!






11 comments:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

That's great news, Ashling...good for you! Nice to see you back...:)JP

Dawn Zichko said...

Such wonderful news! I'm excited for your new beginnings.

Nancy J said...

Ashling, this is the best news, and I, too, am very fond of libraries, any type, and anywhere. Way back in those days of 1954!!!, a friend and I were in the library at our High School, maybe you call it Senior College.We learnt the Dewey numbers, had a card catalogue system for checking in and out the many text books, reference books, and more. We loved that work, and yes, we are still wonderful friends today. My parents were great readers, and, you can guess, I am too.I hope this will be a wonderful new adventure,a challenge, and a job that will meet your dreams and aspirations, Congrats, Jean.

Jen said...

That is so exciting!!! I love libraries. One of my earliest memories is going to the library with my mother, and some of my fondest memories are taking my children. I still love to go and browse.

Sound like a dream job to me--I'm very happy for you.

xo, Jen

PatsyAnne said...

Congratulations! I can't think of a place I'd like to work more than a library, especially one in a small (or smallish) town or village. Ours is very small, very limited but connected with about 50 libraries in the system (here on the Hudson River) - so I can go online and order just about any book or recording or movie or CD that I can imagine and get an email that its waiting at Butterfield. I walk in to that incredible historic home and smell the fresh coffee and the just dusted wax shelves. I snuggle down in a comfy chair and look around. Large city libraries have a lot to offer, but not this, this is community at its finest. Most of our library staff are volunteers or part-timers but all are dedicated in helping the community in project, classes, explaining new tech gadgets they have for loan. I envy you this great joy. Enjoy, be happy - you deserve it!

Ashling said...

@PatsyAnne--I worked in your library system for 12 years up in Wappingers, and am rejoining that system with my new library. It's a small world, made ever more accessible by places like libraries!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Hooray! I'm so excited for you! Sounds like you will be much happier in this new position. It has been a long wait for you it seems so I'm glad that you are getting back to work you enjoy :)

Brian Kelly said...

I can look at that picture of the Trio all day long.

Linda said...

That is wonderful Ashling!! Congrats on the new job...I would be excited to work in a library too...magical place!! All the best to you... I think you have made the right decision...<3

CraveCute said...

I love hearing good news! Congrats on your new position! Your photos look much the same as what we are seeing here. Still snow and hunkered in waiting for warmer weather. It was so nice to get away from the cold (to Florida). At least it is starting to melt! Spring will be here soon!

Rain said...

Oh Ashling that's wonderful!!! The town library was my refuge when growing up- when raising children and now -there's nothing better!!! Congrats! I'm just catching up on blogger friends!!
Rain