Now, where did I leave that?

Saturday, March 3, 2012

The Sweet Life and Embracing Change

  In some ways, I'm practically a Puritan. I don't drink alcohol, not a drop in two decades. I don't smoke cigarettes (although there were those two weeks of walking on the wild side at 14), or anything else. I love a big bowl of tomatoes, a juicy apple, spicy carrot soup. However, I also love cheese of all kinds, chips and dip, daily (or twice-daily) Saranac  ginger beer, brownies, cookies, ice cream, Rice Krispie Treats, cheesy pasta...you get the picture. Know what I don't like? Exercise, other than the occasional leisurely ramble through the woods, cooked vegetables, tofu, seaweed, things that don't taste delicious. Aside from being overweight (with capital letters). I have high blood pressure, chronic heartburn, asthma, achy muscles and joints...and newly diagnosed chronic urticaria with angioedema (read 'hives & swelling'). A biopsy confirmed the hives are not allergy related; the allergist said "your immune system has gone haywire." He added more medication.
  My sister recommended I see an acupuncturist. Okay, beats more drugs. So I called hers, who is also a practioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine. We talked and she told me I should see the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead . It was inspiring, if scary. I'm not seeing a juice fast of a day--let alone weeks or months--in my future. I went to see her yesterday, and along with doing a little acupuncture to help with the itching and a cupping treatment (weird!) to help with detoxing and stress (including the stress of the upcoming life change I've agreed to), and giving me an herbal formula--"Sagely Unblocking"-- to drink twice a day, we had a serious discussion about diet (the aforementioned 'life change').
  The premise is that white sugar and white flour cause inflammation, and that the more sugar and (at least) refined carbs are removed from the diet, the less inflammation there is, and that diet is really the first and most significant change to make to un-haywire my immune system. What that's going to look like is primarily vegetables, with some fish and chicken, a very small amount of fruit, a very small amount of dairy. That's what I 'can' eat. There's no sugar/sweetener at all except for a very small amount of maple syrup, and little or no carbs from grains except maybe a small amount of oats (alot of 'very smalls' in there). Although the recommendation is that I substitute a juiced meal for a regular one once a day, I'll wait a bit before spending money on a juicer; those suckers are pricey!** There will be alot of Dr. Hyman's Ultrabroth, soups and salads.
**since writing that sentence, my sister has offered me the loan of a juicer she doesn't use!**
  This is scary stuff....it's a big change. The payoff could be huge--good health and weight loss, energy and the physical ability to do things like work in the yard comfortably & romp with the dogs. But to change 50 years of bad eating habits is also a serious challenge with the potential for crushing failure. Linda's on-board with it, and wants to follow the same eating plan, which is awesome and very helpful. I'm embracing the need to make a serious change, and part of me is actually kind of looking forward to this as an adventure. I'm also looking forward to keeping my hands permanently occupied with knitting and spinning in the snack-free evenings. I hope you'll share suggestions and recipes... 

10 comments:

kimi said...

I really enjoyed reading this Ashling. I wish you all the best and offer this bit of incentive - I am so glad you wrote this. I am currently in need of making drastic changes to my lifestyle. I HAVE to get in physical shape. I HAVE to strengthen my heart muscle. I HAVE TOO. Having too and wanting too are two very distant mindsets right now, lol. I support you 100% and I am sharing this article with my friend Suzi (she's in Maine). We are talking about these very things. You opened up the door to discuss our physical/mental health without worry of judgment and critique. Namaste'...

Robin Larkspur said...

More power to you! I know I should probably be joining you on this. Hope it goes well for you, I truly do!!

turquoisemoon said...

Hey girl...I'm 64 and just started a new diet last week, and already feeling better. Besides the carbs, they took away as much sodium as possible. That means no pork, no processed foods,such a hotdogs or even cold cuts. No salted snacks, to condiments such as BBQ, mustard, catsup,etc. No Salted seasonings such as garlic salt. No pickled foods such as olives, pickles or relish. NO canned foods and that means no soup, canned veggies, or tomato sauces. No packaged foods such as instant rice, noodle or potato mixes. No TV dinners. I haven't wrapped my hands around all of this yet. I CAN use Morton Lite Salt and Mrs. Dash (bless her!!!) Also, no diet pop if it has any color, such as diet coke or pepsi. So 80 oz of water a day with 1 Crystal light per day. I cannot combine cottage cheese with meet and NO fruit after 6 (guess it turns to sugar) So that along with no carbs..is very difficult. My knees already feel better tho. They want us to stick with fresh fruits, veggies and even then only a prescribed amount. It seems like all I've done for the last few days is drink and pee! Whew..I hear ya!!!

the wild magnolia said...

you are so brave, and smart. i am going to be brave and smart too. very good post, true and to the point, good medicine.

i'm dealing with health issues. nothing in life is good without good health.

thanks and good luck. thank you, for sharing.

take care of you. ((hugs))

Jen said...

I read this with interest as I also have some of these issues. My only suggestion is don't make too many changes too. I have recently decided to cut out sweets (as in cookies and cake). But I eat a lot of fruit. It would be very hard for me to give up fruit!

AkasaWolfSong said...

I am in the Cheerleading Section cheering you on Ashling!!!

I've been making slow changes, with more vege's and fruits and since I'm not much of a meat eater..pretty nonexistent actually, that isn't a problem, it is the cola I can't seem to give up or the nasty cigs I smoke. I do plan on working on those two in short order here...
Having just gone through a major surgery for me it brought to light my mortality in a big way. Now it is just the doing part?
So...we can cheer each other on and the best of luck and stamina to both of us!!! Yaaaay! :)
Lovin' You Big Girl!
xoxoxo

Ashling said...

Wow--so much encouragement--thank you to all of you! And to those deciding to make changes...good luck; I'm rooting for you!

JGH said...

Sometimes I think if I could just give up carbs in the morning and wine in the evening, that would be all I need-- and still I can't do it! My husband lost about 50 lbs shortly after my son was born. Whenever someone asked him how he did it, he said "it's simple...I shut my mouth" :)

Best of luck with the new diet - probably won't be long before you're feeling so much better! Go Ashling!

Shel said...

But look at what you CAN eat. Is there anything better than a pan of sauteed vegys? Onions, mushrooms, red peppers, broccoli and a little squash? Or any other color and flavor combination that floats your boat. You can do a little dairy - how about Zuke Canoes? (stuffed baked zucchinis). Oh, there are soooo many wonderful baked squash recipes out there. Really - this will open up a whole new world of flavors and cooking. Gypsy Soup!! Do you have the Moosewood Cookbook? Gypsy Soup is on my blog and you will love it!! Naturally very sweet with no sugar and no dairy. Really, as long as they left you vegys, your diet will be full of flavor!!

Ashling said...

@ Shel...I have numerous Moosewood cookbooks, and will look up Gypsy Soup. There are many wonderful healthy things to eat, and I do cook healthy meals and rhapsodize about fresh tomatoes and lightly buttered brussels sprouts and carrot soup. And I admire your enthusiasm and dedication to eth healthy life!! But don't most of us yearn to walk on the wild side, cast lingering looks at the forbidden? No veggie has ever been a substitute for a big bowl of ice cream....